I know, I know, this article should’ve been posted before 2021 started, not halfway through January! I’ve just been kind of busy recently and I wanted to post this so I could officially move on from 2020 – for good. I did have this article partially written up, all ready to be completed and published, I just… didn’t. I had other ideas for articles, then I felt like it was too late, but now I am finally sat down here, on a mission to do this, for my mental health more than anything else.
I had lots of great plans for 2020, it’s just a shame that I didn’t exactly get to achieve all of them…. Nonetheless, I was on a mission to make the most of it, no matter what! In my post my 2019; I discussed what big plans I had for the year ahead and my top goals and how I was going to be coming back at the end of the year, hopefully to tell you how well I did! Even though I didn’t get to achieve all my plans (a moment of silence please for The Killers concert, Six performance and the trip to America that never was), I still managed to try and achieve all eleven goals I set myself, and I’m here to prove it!
So, without further ado, these are the goals I set myself, and an honest response as to whether or not I did it!
- Become better with physical contact! This one did take some time; I’ll be honest with you. I was getting a lot better, but then certain events took place which meant that I was back too square one. Luckily though, through continued support of friends and family, therapy experiences, medication, and my own will, I finally did it! Now I can confidently say to you that I only slightly flinch when I’m not expecting someone to touch me but I’m normally completely okay with it! Of course, I do still have some moments which are tricky, but I am getting on in leaps and bounds, considering I used to freak out and have a panic attack when anyone reached out to touch me, so I am very proud of myself.
- Partake in a protest/march. Okay, I have an excuse for this! I wanted to but due to coronavirus, I didn’t really feel comfortable partaking in any of the BLM marches/protests. It’s a shame, but I’m carrying on this goal to 2021!!
- Go to a pride event. Yet again, due to COVID, I couldn’t go to a pride event which was a shame. But yet again, 2021, I will be going! Hopefully!
- Try to post once a week! This one honestly started out so well! It’s just a shame that I burnt myself out and became super busy. This year I am going to post at my own pace, whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s worked pretty well for me so far, so let’s hope it stays that way!
- Pass at least five GCSEs. Whilst I didn’t actually get to do the exams, I took thig goal and my word I ran with it! Not only did I pass five, I passed all the core subjects and all my other exams too! (more on that here), so I’d say, yeah, I think I achieved this goal pretty well!
- Become my own person. After a long process of “self-discovery” I guess you’d call it, I think I’ve finally done it! I’m now proud to say I’m not “a part of” anyone or anything else, I am completely just Tatiana, no more, no less – and that’s just the way I like it!
- Become someone others look up to. I think I did that. After I helped a kid in year eight, I realised I could become a good role model, despite certain rebellious ways and features! I hope that as I grow up and develop myself more, that I become more of a role model and others are inspired by my story of growth, instead of just feeling sorry for me.
- Get out more! God, what irony am I right? Despite being unable to go out for a lot of 2020, I did manage to go outside and – when it was legal – socialise! I definitely tried to achieve this, despite things trying to stop me!
- Stop feeling bad about what I can’t control. Man, 2019 Tati was a prophet, wasn’t she?! I think that during therapy, I really tackled this goal head on. It was something which I struggled with the most, and I’m proud to say that I am doing a lot better! I feel like I now have far more control in my own life, due to the fact that I’ve accepted the fact that I can control certain aspects of my life. All’s well that ends well!
- Read More! I think I’ve done that! It’s been a struggle to keep my focus, but I’m definitely a lot better. I’m now on my third book of 2021, so I am pretty proud of myself.
- Never lose sight of my morals. Something I will stay true to until the end. I have my morals which I keep close to my heart, and no matter what, I will not ever betray them – which I think is pretty sound advice too!